Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Steampunk Thank You Card


Hi Friends and Fellow crafters! Easter is right around the corner and I haven't made a single project for the holiday. Why? Because I am still trying to catch up on thank-you cards from my birthday. My card today is a thank-you for one of my best friends. She is not a "froo-froo" type of person, but finds things like steampunk interesting, so I found this sweet image at Make It Crafty for her. Everything is from my stash and I am proud to say that I still have not broken my spending ban! I do have a fabulous Michael's gift card from my best friend that I made this card for, so I think I will be taking a shopping trip soon. LOL!

Here are the details:
Cricut Gypsy and E-2
Cricut Carts:
Picturesque for Corner
                       Paper Lace for Thank You Sentiment
                   Pop Up Neighborhood for Balloon
Other Materials:
Basic Grey Eva 6x6 Paper
Tim Holtz Paper Stash - Crowded Attic
Tim Holtz Grunge Paper
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sprocket Gears and Game Spinners
Prima Swirls
Black Leather Twine
Viva Decor Pearl Pen - Anthracite
Ranger Pearl Mist - Perfect Pearl
MS Glitter
Ranger Glossy Accents, 3D Crystal Lacquer
Copic Markers
Annabelle Digi Image


I was researching Steampunk and really liked many of the images associated with it. I went to my Tim Holtz box of goodies and found the gear sprockets and game spinners. I had Annabelle in my digi stamp collection for quite some time now because I knew that one day I would need her for a card. :-) 
The paper is Eva from Basic Grey. I have had this paper since the paper spending frenzy of 2010 and I think I have used about 4 pieces of it! I created the easel card using the directions from SplitCoastStampers but went a little larger in size. My card is a 5x5 card. I colored Annabelle in Browns and Reds. I am still trying to master those colors and black in copics. I don't use them enough to really get a feel for coloring them. I think she turned out pretty.


I like how there are all trains, planes, balloons, and other traveling vehicles connected with Steampunk. I went with a balloon, although a plane had crossed my mind. I used paper from Tim Holtz Paper Stash Crowded Attic Collection. A Viva Decor Pearl Pen created the perfect black dots, and I added the Leather twine for interest. I also spritzed it with the Ranger Pearl Mist for fun. I used pop dots to adhere it. I really love how it turned out.


I cut the sentiment using my Cricut and Gypsy from the Paper Lace Cart. It sort of got lost with the colors I used, so I added some MS Glitter, but hated how it looked. The original glitter was a platinum color, but just looked wrong. When it was dry, I took a copic R29 and colored over it. I added some 3D Crystal Lacquer over the design. It didn't photograph well, but I liked it much better. I added some Prima swirls from my stash and a Tim Holtz Gear Sprocket with a Game Spinner attached by a brad.  


I also made sure to add the Gears and Spinners to the card topper, but wanted to keep it sort of simple. I finished it with the corner.  It was so hard for me not to add a ton of flowers on this card. LOL! I used a piece of eggshell card stock on the inside and wrote my note there. I am putting it in the mail 1st thing tomorrow, if I can keep my Mom from confiscating it!


Thanks for stopping by today! I hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Happy Crafting!
Colleen

4 comments:

  1. You have been making some awesomely beautiful projects lately(as usual)! I'm sorry I missed your bday:( March is a blur of activities to me! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that image is so adorable! Thanks for the link on where you got it. I love anime images!

    hugs,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete